Succulent roast pork with golden cracking that snaps, accompanied by homemade apple sauce and crispy roast potatoes.
- 1.5 kg boneless rolled loin of pork, rind scored with a Stanley knife
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 300 ml hot chicken or pork stock
For the apple sauce
- 0.5 tsp ground allspice
- about 200ml cold water
- 3 large tart cooking apples, such as Bramleys, peeled, cored and chopped
- 50 g unsalted butter
- Heat the oven to 180C gas 5.
- Rip off about 50cm of silver foil, and scrunch up into a small bed for the pork to sit on - this is to stop the bottom of the pork frying in its own fat and juices - and place in a roasting tray. Season the pork rind well with salt and pepper, sit the pork on the scrunched-up foil and pop the pork in the oven.
- For the apple sauce, put the spice, water and apples in a saucepan, cover with a lid and cook for 15 minutes until the apples are soft and pulpy and you have a nice thick stew. Season with a little salt and pepper and stir in the butter and sugar to taste. Keep warm.
- After about 90 minutes, remove the pork from the oven and check the pork is cooked by inserting a skewer or thin-bladed knife into the thickest part of the meat - The juices will run clear. If not, return to the oven for a further 10 - 20 minutes.
- Remove the pork rind with a long-bladed knife, ensuring that you keep most of the fat on the loin. Place the rind on a baking tray, flat side up, and pop back in the oven for about 15-20 to crisp up, taking care as crackling will quickly burn.
- Meanwhile, wrap the pork in foil and leave it to rest in a warm place to let the juices settle and the meat tenderise.
- Place the roasting tray on the hob and scrape off all the bits stuck to the bottom. Mix the flour with a little water in a cup. Spoon off a little of the fat. Blend in the hot stock and cook, stirring well, until thickened, then pour into a jug and keep warm.
- Cut the pork into thick slices and serve topped with pieces of the crisp crackling, with the warm apple sauce of the side.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket