The best way I have found to cook crispy, crunchy roast potatoes is to blanch them in boiling water until the edges start to crumble away. Drain well, then cook in very hot dripping or goose or duck fat, and only turn them once. That really is it!
- 1.5 kg peeled potatoes, Desiree, King Edwards, or Maris Piper are all good roasters.
- 200 g good beef dripping
- duck or goose fat
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, freshly milled
- Pre heat the oven to 200 Degrees C, Gas 7.
- Peel and cut the potatoes into large quarters.
- Place a pan of cold water on the stove and bring to a boil. Add salt and reboil. Pop in the potatoes.
- Bring back to the boil and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the outsides start to fall away, carefully drain.
- Place the dripping in a baking tray, pop into the hot oven and heat for 10 minutes, or until just smoking.
- When drained, remove the tray from the oven carefully add the potatoes to the hot fat, season well with plenty of salt and pepper and pop into the oven.
- Cook for 35-40 minutes.
- When the bottoms are very crisp and golden, turn over and return to the oven, cook for a further 35-40 minutes, until both sides are crisp and golden.
- You need to end up with the inside soft and powdery with 2 very crunchy edges, perfect!
- Serve piping hot.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket
Amount per Serving
% Daily Value*
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.