- 2 kg approx fresh duck
- 1 onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh sage
- 200 g sausage meat
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large Seville orange, simmered until a skewer can be inserted with no resistance and cooled then chopped into small pieces, pips removed.
- 1 egg
- 6 tbsp dried breadcrumbs
- 6 tbsp clear honey
- juice 2 large fresh oranges
- 2 tbsp Sherry vinegar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the onions and garlic and cook gently for about 5 minutes, or until soft.
- Add the sage, stir well, remove from the heat, add the sausage meat and stir
- Add the egg, chopped orange and breadcrumbs and mix well and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the duck from its wrapper and take out any giblets. Season the cavity well and fill it with the stuffing, then tie the legs together. Prick the bird all over with a fork (so that the fat is released when it cooks), then tear off a piece of foil, about 50cm in length and scrunch up into a flat oblong.
- Place the scrunched up foil in a roasting tin and sit the duck on top. Season well and cook in the oven for about 1 1/2 hours, or until cooked through.
- Heat the orange juice, vinegar and honey together and reduce slightly.
- About 15 minutes from the end of the cooking time, carefully remove the duck from the oven and spoon the honey over the breast. Put back in the oven and continue cooking for the final 15 minutes. The honey will make a delicious glaze but take care as it can burn easily.
- When cooked, remove the duck from the oven and allow it to stand for 15-20 minutes.
- Carve the duck into quarters and serve with spoonfuls of the stuffing, roast potatoes, gravy and buttered spinach.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket