- 5 large red or yellow peppers
- 125 of good quality extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, freshly milled
- lemon juice
- caster sugar
- touch of cold water
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C, gas 6.
- Cut the peppers in half lengthways; remove the seeds and core.
- Lay them cut side down in a baking dish, season well with salt, pepper and a touch of caster sugar.
- Heat the olive oil and pour over the peppers and cook in the oven for 35-45 minutes uncovered.
- When cooked, the peppers will be very soft, and the tops will have taken a little colour.
- Remove the peppers from the oil with a slotted spoon and place straight into a liquidizer, then add the hot olive oil
- Liquidise until you have a thick puree.
- Add a touch of cold water until you have a nice sauce consistency. Remember that the dressing will thicken when cold, so add a touch more water.
- Add a touch of salt, pepper and sugar to taste and balance with a little lemon juice.
- When you are happy with the taste pass it through a fine sieve.
- This dressing will keep for a couple of weeks in a fridge.
- Also, remember that olive oil thickens when cold, so leave it at room temperature or warm in the microwave before using it.
- You may need to adjust the seasoning if the dressing has been stored in the fridge for a couple of days.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket