To get the best results from this recipe. Roast the seasoned, oiled pumpkin really well in wedges, don't be shy, slightly over roast, so they have some good colour and flavour.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions, very finely sliced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 500 g roughly chopped well roasted pumpkin flesh
- 400 g can black eye peas
- 150 g frozen peas
- 225 g long grain rice
- 568 ml water, boiling
- 1 vegetable stock cube, crumbled
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the stir through paste
- 4 tbsp roasted pumpkin seeds
- 6 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 75 g Parmesan cheese, roughly grated
- 4 tbsp roasted pumpkin flesh, roughly
- 4 tbsp sunblush tomatoes
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, approx.
- Heat the oil in a medium sized saucepan (that has a tight-fitting lid)
- Add the onion, turmeric and cumin seeds, cook for 3-4 minutes to soften.
- Add the pumpkin flesh, blackeye and frozen peas, mix well.
- Add the rice, water, stock cube.
- Season well with salt and pepper, and then bring to a boil, stirring.
- Cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid, turn the heat right down, and cook for roughly 12-15 minutes really gently or until the rice is cooked and the water absorbed.
- You will be amazed at how little heat is required if you have a tight-fitting lid.
- Meanwhile, blitz together all the ingredients for the paste, adding olive oil until you have a thick paste, season well.
- Once cooked, remove the lids and fluff up with a spoon or fork, then fold through the paste and serve.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket