You can't beat a good sausage roll, flaky pastry and succulent sausage; what a combination. But many of the shop-bought ones are full of things you don't want to eat, so the simple answer is to make your own.
- 500 g good quality sausage meat (20% fat)
- 2 tsp dried sage
- 0.5 tsp ground nutmeg
- 0.5 tsp ground mace
- freshly milled black pepper
- 4 tbsp dried breadcrumbs
- 500 g good quality ready rolled all butter puff pastry
- 1 small egg, beaten
- extra egg for glazing
- Pre heat the oven to 190C gas 5.
- Mix all the ingredients for the filling together well.
- Place the sheets of pastry on a board and cut them into 6cm wide strips.
- Brush well with the beaten egg.
- Using a piping bag, pipe the sausage meat onto the strips, slightly to one side. Fold over and seal the edge well.
- Brush again with the beaten egg, then chill in the fridge.
- Cut into small rolls and cook for approximately 30 minutes or until browned, crisp and cooked through.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket