Strawberries with Chicken? You may think I have lost my senses, but honestly, this is a magical combination. The sweetness perfectly balances the tang of the vinegar and the heat of the mustard.
- 20 chicken wings, tips removed and cut in half through the knuckle
- 10 g chicken stock cube (Gluten Free if required)
- 200 g strawberries, ripe, tasty ripe
- juice 2 large lemons
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 75 extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp strawberry jam
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp cornflour or arrowroot
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 1 tbsp fresh tarragon, finely chopped
- Place the chicken wings into a clean saucepan, add the stock cube, cover with cold water.
- Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat, so the chicken is just simmering.
- Season well, and cook gently for 15 minutes; the meat must be cooked but not falling off the bone.
- When cooked, carefully strain, drain well and chill.
- Once chilled, dry really well with kitchen paper, and place the chicken in a bowl.
- Meanwhile, wash the strawberries well, then place 200g of them in the liquidiser.
- Add the lemon juice, onion, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, mustard, jam, salt and pepper, and whizz until smooth.
- Strain well to remove all the seeds, and then adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Place the prepared chicken into a non-metallic container and pour over half the strawberry marinade.
- Place the rest of the marinade into a saucepan and cook for 5-10 minutes to reduce slightly, then thicken with a little cornflour and water, and then cool.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan.
- Remove the excess marinade from the wings and sauté for 3-4 minutes on each side, and brown well.
- Turnover and do the same, then add any marinade and nicely glaze.
- Serve warm with the strawberry sauce and add a little fresh tarragon.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket