- 4 medium courgettes, washed well then sliced on a 1cm diagonal cut
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, freshly milled
- 225 g Taleggio or Cambazola cheese, cut into ½ cm thick slices
- 1 large red onion, peeled and cut into very thin rings
- 2 limes juice of
- 100 white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- Place the lime juice, vinegar and sugar together into a bowl and mix together.
- Add the onions and coat into the vinegar, cover and leave for 1 hour. They will change dramatically, slightly pinker, with a sweet, acidic edge, perfect with cooked cheese.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or large frying pan.
- Add the cumin and tumeric, then cook for 10 seconds, do not burn, then add the garlic and cook for a further 1 minute.
- Add the courgettes, season well. Courgettes need a lot of seasoning, and cook over a high heat until nicely coloured, but still green and firm.
- You may have to cook the courgettes in 2 batches if the wok or frying pan you use is small.
- Tip the cooked courgettes into a baking dish.
- Lay the cheese over the Sautéd courgettes and season with black pepper, place in a hot oven or under the grill to melt slightly, but not brown.
- This will ensure the cheese has that lovely stringy consistency. If you can't find Tallegio then Cambazola or Mozzarella are very good alternatives.
- Serve topped with pickled red onion rings piled on top, a very simple but very tasty supper dish.
- A couple of good tips are if you have any cooked pasta left over then just add to the courgettes before you top with cheese, also a bottle or tin of cooked peppers, drained and chopped works very well indeed.
- Serve with a green salad and crusty sliced bread.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket