- 4 medium duck breasts
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch ground pepper
- 3 tbsp malt vinegar
- 2 tbsp blackcurrant jelly
- 200 mls cold water
- 2 pinches chicken Oxo stock cube
- 100 g fresh ripe blackberries
- 2 tsp salted butter, cold
- With a sharp knife criss-cross the duck fat about ½ cm intervals cutting through to the fat but not cutting into the flesh.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan to a medium heat.
- Season the duck breasts with salt and pepper.
- Place fat side down in the pan and gently cook until you have a nice colour, probably 10 minutes, then season again and turn over and cook for a further 4-5 minutes, then remove from the pan cover with foil and leave to rest.
- Meanwhile tip off ¾ of the fat, then add the vinegar and return to the heat and cook until almost all evaporated.
- Next add the jelly, water and stock cube and cook over a high heat to reduce by half.
- Off the heat add the blackberries and gently press with a fork to release the juice but not broken up fully.
- Finally stir in the butter and re-season, keep warm.
- Slice and drain the duck really well into 3 slices, across the grain of the meat, drain again.
- Serve with a spoon or two of sauce, no more.
- Serve with minted new potatoes and few petit pois peas.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket