Try this, and you're sure of having juicy, tender chicken at its very best. The secret being that the meat is part-braised in white wine. Crispy roasties are the perfect accompaniment.
- 1.6 kg fresh British chicken 1.6kg (approx)
- 1 fresh lemon, quartered
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 glass of Italian white wine
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp chicken gravy granules, approx
- 1 kg Maris Piper potatoes, peeled
- 20 g lard
- Pre-heat the oven to 220C Gas 7
- Place the quartered lemon into the cavity of the chicken.
- Place the chicken into a deep saucepan and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Pop the chicken into the oven and cook for approximately 15 minutes until it starts to brown slightly.
- Once ready, remove the pan from the oven and turn it down to 200C, gas mark 6.
- Place the chopped onion around the chicken, add wine, salt and pepper.
- Cover and return to the oven for a further 50 minutes or until cooked and juicy.
- Once cooked, remove the chicken and cover with foil or cling film.
- Place the saucepan back onto the stove and bring to a simmer.
- Thicken with a few Quixo chicken granules.
- Carve the chicken and serve with roast potatoes and gravy.
For the Roasties
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C, gas mark 6
- Place the lard onto a baking tray, pop into the hot oven for 10 minutes, or until just smoking.
- Place a pan of cold water on the stove, bring to a boil and then add a little salt.
- Pop in the potatoes, after cutting into large quarters.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket