- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 500 g stewing steak, cut into large chunks
- 2 tbsp Worcester sauce
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 3-4cm cubes
- 200 ml good beef stock, or 20g (2 x 10g) cubes plus 200mls water
- 2 tbsp flour
- 4 tbsp cold water
- In a large saucepan, add the 3 tbsp oil and heat through.
- Add the onions and vegetables and cook for a few minutes to take a little colour.
- Remove the meat from the packet and dry well on a kitchen towel.
- Season the beef and add to the vegetables, really mix well.
- Add the Worcester sauce, potatoes, stock or water and cubes a little more pepper and salt mix really well.
- Bring to the boil, then turn the heat right down to a simmer, place a lid on and simmer for between 1½- 2 hours, or until the meat is really tender, but not falling apart.
- Mix the flour and water well so no lumps, then add a little to the finished casserole and cook for a further 10 minutes to thicken nicely. You could add little gravy granules or even cornflour or arrowroot if you are a coeliac.
- I like to serve my casserole with a large spoonful of pickled red cabbage.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket