- 1 small glass Brandy
- 85 g raisins
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 hen pheasants, legs removed and crowned, also wish bone removed
- 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 300 ml medium white wine, (2 glasses)
- 284 ml fairly strong chicken stock, (½ pint)
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 tsp unsalted butter
- small spoonful of double cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 220C gas 7.
- Warm the brandy and add the raisins, then leave for 20 minutes to plump up.
- Heat the butter and oil in an ovenproof frying or sauté pan.
- Once foaming lightly season the bird all over with a little salt and pepper.
- Place legs and breasts skin side down, brown for a minute or so, and pop into the hot oven.
- Cook for 8 minutes.
- After the 8 minutes stage, remove the bird from the oven, turn over the legs, and also the breast crown, and spoon over the buttery juices and oil, return to the oven.
- Cook for a further 8 minutes.
- Once cooked remove the pan from the oven and cover with foil.
- Leave to rest in a warm place for 6-8 minutes, covered.
- After 10 minutes, place the crown of the bird onto a chopping board, breast side up.
- Next, run the knife down the breast bone, as close as possible, and right down to where the wing is attached and carefully pull off the breast meat, repeat on the other side.
- Place onto the legs and keep warm, covered with foil.
- Make the sauce by placing the carcass into a small saucepan, add the vinegar and white wine. Bring to the boil and boil until almost all the wine has evaporated.
- Add the chicken stock and pinch of sugar and bring to the boil.
- Simmer until thick and syrupy, about 5-6 minutes.
- Finally add the butter and cream then mix well, then strain through a fine sieve.
- Place into a clean saucepan and add the soaked raisins, drained from the brandy and mix well.
- Place the warm pheasant legs on the plate, crossed at the top.
- Place the breasts on top of the legs, and carefully spoon over the hot sauce.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket
Simple Roast Pheasant with Brandied Raisins
Amount per Serving
% Daily Value*
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.