- 400 g (2 x 200g pieces) venison loin
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 glasses red wine
- 600 ml strong venison or game stock
- 1 small glass or 6 tbsp cassis
- 10 g unsalted butter
- 200 g frozen blackcurrants, defrosted, they produce and better colour and will release more flavour than fresh
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 220, Gas 7.
- Season the loins well with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in an ovenproof frying pan.
- Add the venison and brown well on both sides.
- Then pop into the hot oven, cook for 5-6 minutes, then remove the pan for the oven.
- Place the venison onto a warm plate, cover with foil and leave to rest for 6-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, tip any oil from the pan, add the wine and boil rapidly over high heat.
- When nearly reduced, add the stock and again reduce rapidly, until you have a nice, thickened sauce.
- Add the cassis and butter, whisk well, taste, adjust the seasoning, and then strain through a fine sieve into a clean pan.
- Add a few defrosted blackcurrants, and stir well.
- Slice the rested loins, drain well on kitchen paper, place on a warm plate, and spoon over the sauce with a few blackcurrants.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket