- 4 large duck legs, trimmed, knuckle removed
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tsp freshly milled black pepper
- 2 tsp Chinese five spice
- 150 g soft brown sugar
- 100 ml cold water
- 1 small onion, peeled and very chopped finely
- 2 tbsp ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon grass puree
- 300 g rhubarb, cut into 2cm pieces and washed well
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Pre heat the oven to 180C gas 4
- Mix the salt, pepper and five spice together well.
- Rub over the duck legs both sides and leave for 30 minutes (best overnight)
- Heat an ovenproof frying pan, add the legs skin side down.
- Leave to brown for 2-3 minutes, then place in the oven.
- Cook for 30 minutes, then turn over and cook for a further 30 minutes, or until cooked but not overcooked. When cooked remove, cover loosely and rest for 30 minutes minimum.
- Meanwhile place the sugar, water, onion, ginger, lemon grass puree, into a stainless steel saucepan and bring to the boil, then simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the rhubarb and bring back to the boil, once simmering cook until soft then leave to cool. Then stir in the olive oil.
- Serve the duck legs with the relish and salad.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket