I make no apology whatsoever for using a can of Spam or corned beef, for that matter, occasionally. I was brought up on the stuff, and I remember that flavour and texture as clear as it was some 50 years ago. However, this dish imparts a really lovely flavour to the rice, oh and by the way, it's Hawaii's national dish.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small onions, very finely chopped
- 200 g long grain rice
- 400 ml boiling water, or double the volume of water to rice
- 2 chicken Oxo cubes, crushed
- 200 g frozen peas
- 200 g frozen broad beans
- 2 medium courgettes, diced
- 1 can 200g Spam, finely chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 pinches pepper
- 1 tbsp salted butter, cold cubed
- Preheat the oven to 200C gas 6.
- Heat the 3 tbsp of oil and add the onion; cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and coat well in the oil and onions, then add the Spam.
- Add the boiling water just enough to cover the meat and rice. Sprinkle in the Oxo cubes, stir and bring back to the boil.
- Add the Courgettes, beans and peas. Place the lid on then cook in the oven for 14 minutes.
- Once cooked, stir well and add the butter, re-season and leave for 5 minutes covered.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket