- 6 medium sized parsnips, peeled and cut into 6 lengthways
- 6 medium sized carrots, peeled and cut into 4 lengthways
- 100 ml vegetable oil
- 1 small orange , juice and finely grated zest
- 1 small lemon, juice and finely grated zest
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 pinches mild curry powder
- 2 shallots, peeled and very finely chopped
- 1 pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190 C gas 5.
- Place the oil into a deep baking tray.
- Place the carrots and parsnips together into a large pan, cover with cold water and a pinch of salt and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, simmer for 1 minute, then strain carefully in a colander.
- Meanwhile, place the baking tray of oil into the preheated oven until hot and slightly smoking.
- Remove from the oven and carefully add the parsnips and carrots. Try and keep them all in line it is easier to turn them.
- Sprinkle with a little salt and curry powder. The curry powder replaces the pepper, so go careful.
- Cook for 20 minutes, then carefully turn them over and cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Once browned and cooked, finally drizzle over the maple syrup and orange zest and juice return to the oven for about 5-10 minutes to glaze and evaporate.
- Take care at this point or they will burn.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket