This is certainly worth the effort; you will wonder why you haven't done this ages ago.
- 4 tbsp oil, any will do
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- ½ tsp dried red chilli flakes
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 225 g basmati rice, washed well
- 150 g frozen peas
- 150 g frozen soya or broad beans
- 100 g frozen edamme beans
- 410 g flageolet beans, rinsed well
- 600 ml water, roughly to cover the raw rice mix
- 20 g vegetable stock cubes, (2 x 10g) crumbled
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 50 g fresh baby spinach leaves
- 4 tbsp fresh Thai basil, chopped
- 4 tbsp coriander, chopped
- 4 tbsp chives, chopped
- 50 g soft salted butter
- Preheat the oven to 180C Gas 4.
- Heat the oil in a wide, deep ovenproof pan, add the spices and cook for a couple of minutes to release their flavour, but take care they do not burn.
- Add the onions and garlic again stir well.
- Add the rice, coat well in the oil and spices, then add the peas and beans, mix well.
- Add the water and crumbled stock cubes and stir.
- Season well, then bring to a boil, stirring, then add the spinach on top.
- Cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid and cook in the oven for 14-16 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- Once cooked remove, from the oven (the spinach will have wilted and, the water will have absorbed nicely)
- Add the basil, coriander, chives and butter and really stir well, then check the seasoning.
- Re-cover and leave for 10 minutes to rest. Then serve
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket