This has to be the most famous bar-b-q dish ever... I went to the USA, North Carolina, to find out exactly how to cook these delicious ribs. The secret is to rub well with a dry marinade, then give it a long slow cook, with moderate heat, brush with a mop sauce to keep them really moist. You only ever brush a bar b q sauce on the ribs at the end of the cooking to glaze. Even then, in some parts of America, this is frowned upon. They should be cooked but still slightly chewy in texture.
- 1 rack of pork spare ribs, about 12-14 ribs
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp freshly milled black pepper
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp dried garlic powder
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 50 ml olive oil
- 200 ml white wine vinegar
- 200 ml bitter beer
- 1 tbsp dried garlic powder
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1 tsp freshly milled black pepper
- Mix all the ingredients and leave to marinate for 30 minutes for the chilli to reconstitute.
- The first job. On the inner side of the rack, there is a fine membrane covering the rib cage, this has to be removed, or it will cook very tough.
- To do this, gently pull and tear the membrane away from the top end of the rib.
- Using a piece of kitchen towel or cloth, rip the membrane back and discard.
- Make up the rub mix, lay the ribs into a deep tray, scatter over the rub on both sides, pack on well. Leave for 1 hour at room temperature covered.
- Leave for 1 hour at room temperature covered.
- Heat the bbq to 350 F 160C, using the indirect method. So, front or back burners on, then place the ribs on the opposite side, away from the heat, then cover and leave for 30 minutes.
- Brush with mop sauce every ½ an hour.
- Keep an eye on the temperature. If the heat rises too much, the ribs will end up dry and tough.
- Cook for about 2 hours 15 minutes, until well browned and looking delicious.
- Once cooked, open the bbq, brush the ribs with the bbq sauce and place directly over the gas.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side to brown and glaze well
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket
The rub mix will keep for 4 weeks if stored in an airtight container.