- 400 g hake, bone free cut into 2cm strips
- 2 medium free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- pinch dried chilli powder
- 0.5 tsp ground cumin
- 4 tbsp cornflour
- 200 g fine ground cornmeal or polenta, roughly
- 350 ml shop bought mayonnaise
- 2 tsp fresh chilli roughly chopped
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 large spring onions, roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp any fresh green herb such as basil, coriander, parsley
- small handful fresh spinach leaves
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- freshly milled black pepper
- Fill a medium frying pan with 2cm of oil, then heat to roughly 175C.
- Next, mix the beaten eggs with the cumin and chilli.
- Dust the hake in the cornflour, then place into the egg mixture, coat well.
- Coat with fine polenta and repeat with the rest of the fish.
- Meanwhile, place the mayo, chilli, mustard, onions, herbs and spinach into a liquidiser.
- Blitz with the vinegar and a little water until you have a thick, lovely green sauce.
- Spoon into a bowl and season with black pepper.
- Cook the hake in small batches until crisp, probably 3-4 minutes turning occasionally.
- Drain well and serve with the spicy herb dip.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket