This is a very simple dish to prepare and cook. It's a good way of getting kids to try greens. Forget the boiled stuff we normally get, this is crisp, tasty, sweet and juicy. It's a great Easter accompaniment with roast chicken or beef and it's easy to cook.
- 4 medium heads of firm, young spring greens
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 clove of garlic crushed (optional)
- pinch sugar
- freshly milled black pepper
- Tear off and discard any yellow or old leaves from the outside of the spring greens.
- Chop or shred remaining leaves as finely as possible, discarding the stalk, the wash and drain well.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy based pan, then add the finely sliced red onion and cook gently for a few minutes to soften.
- Next, add the garlic and soften for 2 minutes.
- Add the spring greens and stir well - it may look like a large quantity, but it will cook down by about half. You will get a little steam from the water left on the greens, this helps to cook the greens.
- Season with a little salt, pepper and a little sugar.
- Cover the pan with a lid, reduce the heat and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender.
- Do not overcook once cooked strain in a colander and serve.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket