Most people only serve pancakes on Shrove Tuesday, but this is a brilliant summer pudding. The pancakes can be made well in advance and filled, leaving you to warm them through in the microwave in seconds when you're ready to serve. The orange zest brings out the flavour of the strawberries. Just add good quality vanilla ice cream.
- 405 g Carnation Condensed Milk Light
- 150 ml water
- 2 large egg yolks
- 25 g plain flour
- 55 g desiccated coconut, toasted
- finely grated zest of an orange
- 8 prepared pancakes
- 225 g strawberries, hulled and chopped
Make a Pastry Cream
- Place the condensed milk and water in a saucepan, mix well and bring to the boil, stirring continuously. Remove from the heat.
- Whisk the egg yolks until pale and fluffy. Add the sieved flour and mix well.
- Pour the hot milk onto the egg yolks, whisking continuously.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook, stirring, over low heat for 5-8 minutes until thickened.
- Remove from the heat.
- Gently heat the coconut in a dry frying pan, occasionally stirring, until toasted to a golden brown.
- Stir the orange zest and two-thirds of the coconut into the pastry cream.
- Cover with cling film and allow to cool.
- Place a few strawberries onto each pancake and spoon over some coconut pastry cream.
- Fold up the base of the pancake by a quarter, then roll up to form a cone. Repeat with all the pancakes and filling, reserving some strawberries.
- Serve either cold or warm with some more strawberries, the remaining toasted coconut ... and vanilla ice cream.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket