This dessert turns a few strawberries, jam and cream into something that looks as if it came straight out of a patisserie.
- 500 g all butter puff pastry
- 300 g ripe firm strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 560 ml double cream, very lightly whipped
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp good quality strawberry jam (Tiptree Little Scarlet)
- strawberries to serve, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 190 C, Gas 5.
- Roll out the puff pastry to roughly 40cm x 30cm. You want it nice and thin. Place on a baking sheet and dock really well with a fork.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes, or until nicely risen and golden brown. It is most important that it is cooked right through. Take care with puff pastry as it tends to burn very quickly once you take your eye off it
- Remove from the oven, transfer to a cooling rack and leave to cool.
- Whip together the vanilla and cream and keep as cold as possible
- Once the pastry has cooled, Cut it lengthways into three equal pieces, trimming to make it look perfect.
- Spread two of the pastry pieces with jam. This not only sweetens the dessert but also bring out the flavour of the strawberries. Then place the strawberries on top of the jam.
- Using a palette knife, spread a thick layer of whipped double cream on top of the strawberries and jam. Then carefully use the palette knife to lift one of the pastry strips onto the top of the other and nestle down nicely.
- Dust the top with icing sugar
- Serve with any leftover double cream and strawberries.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket