- 500 g block of short pastry, defrosted
For the Stock
- 4 large frozen chicken legs, defrosted
- 20 g chicken stock cubes, (2 x 10g)
- 600 ml cold water
For the Sauce
- 70 g butter, very soft
- 70 g plain flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 100 g frozen peas, defrosted
- 100 g frozen sweetcorn, defrosted
- 2 tbsp dried or frozen tarragon, chopped
- beaten egg for glazing
- Place the chicken legs and stock cubes into a saucepan and just cover with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 35-40 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked and JUST falling apart with a little resistance. Once cooked, strain the chicken off and measure the liquid that's left; you will need roughly 500mls.
- Mix the soft flour and butter together really well. Place the stock back into the pan and bring to a boil. Once simmering, whisk the flour and butter mixture in and reboil until you have a thick sauce, this is known as a veloute. Check the seasoning and adjust.
- Roughly pull the chicken apart. Add to the veloute with the peas, sweetcorn and tarragon. Chill at this point; leave overnight if possible to tighten up the mix.
- Cut the pastry into 2/3rd and 1/3rd, then roll out the 2/3rd piece to fit a 24cm x 3-4cm deep loose-bottomed flan ring. Line well and leave a nice lip on the top.
- Remix the cold filling and spoon into the pastry base. Roll out the top and brush the top lip with a beaten egg. Lay the top onto the base and seal and decorate
- Make a small incision in the centre of the pie and bake on a metal tray in a preheated oven 180C gas 4 for 35-40 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and leave to sit for 10 minutes. Cut and serve
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket