Quinoa is a tiny little seed rich in protein and other nutrients, including a good amount of calcium, iron and B vitamins. This salad makes a bold, colourful vegetarian main meal, high in antioxidants from the veggies,it is also delicious served with grilled salmon or chicken (grilled with a smear of harissa paste mixed with a tablespoon of natural yoghurt on top).
- 1 red onion, quartered
- 1 large courgette, diced
- 1 small butternut squash (about 500g), peeled, deseeded and diced (or you can use 350g sweet potatoes, peeled and diced)
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 small yellow pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 tsp rapeseed oil
- 200 g quinoa, (mixed red, black and white quinoa)
- 5 g (or 1.5) reduced salt vegetable stock cube
- 100 g purple sprouting broccoli, trimmed
- 1 lemon or lime juice of
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp mixed toasted seeds
- 150 g cherry tomatoes, halved
- small bunch of mixed fresh basil and parsle, roughly chopped
- freshly milled black pepper
- 50 g fresh pomegranate seeds
- Preheat the oven to 200C, Gas mark 6.
- Put the red onion, courgette, squash and peppers in a roasting tin.
- Drizzle over the rapeseed oil and season well with black pepper.
- Roast the veg for about 30-40 minutes until softened and beginning to colour at the edges.
- Meanwhile, rinse the quinoa (to remove a slightly bitter coating on the seeds), put it in a saucepan with the crumbled stock cube and cover the quinoa with 250ml of water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover and cook for about 12-15 minutes until tender and the little 'tails' appear. Remove from the heat and leave to cool and absorb most of the water, then drain well. Spread it out over a shallow dish to dry and ruff up.
- Snip the purple sprouting broccoli heads, stalks and leaves into bite-sized pieces. Boil or steam for a few minutes until just tender, then drain.
- Put the quinoa in a large bowl. Add the lemon or lime juice, garlic, mixed seeds, cherry tomatoes, chopped herbs, hot roasted vegetables and purple sprouting broccoli and stir to mix.
- To serve, stir through the pomegranate seeds.
- Serve warm or cold.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket