- 24 scallops, cleaned and fresh
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, very finely chopped
- ¼ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 9 garlic cloves, yes 9 peeled, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 4 tbsp palm or light brown sugar
- juice 4 limes
- freshly milled black pepper
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika, heaped
- finely grated zest from the above limes
- 400 g warm mashed potatoes
- Heat the oil and add the onions, chilli, garlic, tomato and cook for 10 minutes to soften well.
- Next, add the sugar, lime juice, salt and pepper, and paprika, turn down the heat and reduce the total volume of the liquid and onions by roughly half.
- Taste the sauce and adjust if you think you have to. It should have a nice balance of sweet and sour. Finally, add the paprika and lime zest.
- Sear the scallops in hot oil, do not overcook.
- Pipe the warm mash onto a plate in 4 small blobs.
- Spoon over the hot tomato relish and serve.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket