- sunflower oil, for deep-frying
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced into ½ cm rings
- 150 g self-raising flour
- 250 roughly sparkling water
- a little extra flour
- Preheat a deep-fat fryer or fill a deep-sided pan one-third full with oil and heat to 190C
- If you don't have a thermometer, the oil should be hot enough so that when a bread cube is added, it browns in 40 seconds.
- Place the flour into a bowl, then whisk in enough water until you have a thickish batter.
- Dust the onion rings in a little flour, then dip into the batter, gently shaking off any excess. Deep-fry for 4-5 minutes until crisp and golden brown.
- Drain on kitchen paper.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket