I had forgotten all about these until my brother Mike mentioned it to me a few weeks ago, and then only because mum had made them for him and his family. As children, we loved them. This is real comfort food served with baked beans; they cannot be beaten
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 6 rashers streaky British dry cured bacon, chopped into small pieces
- 1 onion peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 vegetable oil
- 115 g good quality grated Cheddar cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, freshly milled
- Preheat the oven to 220C Gas 7.
- Wash the potatoes well and place in the oven; cook for 1 hour or until soft with crunchy skins.
- Meanwhile, heat a saucepan, add the bacon and cook over low heat without any oil until crispy. There will be enough fat in the bacon to cook, then add the onion back to the onions and stir well.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and cut in half lengthways; spoon the hot potato into a bowl. Keep the skins intact.
- Add the bacon and onions to the potatoes, add a little salt and pepper and mix carefully, do not puree.
- Spoon the mixture back into the shells piling nice and high. Sprinkle over a little grated cheese and black pepper.
- Then return to the oven or grill until the cheese is lightly browned.
- Simple, but really great to eat, all you need really is a little brown sauce for a good TV dinner.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket