For the tomato soup:
- 1.2 kg plum tomatoes, (3 x 400g tins)
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 450 ml water
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- cornflour and water, mixed together
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch sugar
- Balsamic vinegar
- 1 pinch freshly ground pepper
- 100 ml single cream
For the Cheese and pesto toastie:
- 6 slices white bread
- 300 g mature Cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 5 tbsp mayo, roughly
- 1 tbsp green pesto
To make the tomato soup
- Preheat the oven to 200C, gas mark 6.
- Place the tomatoes, garlic, tomato puree and olive oil onto a non-stick baking tray. Break the tomatoes up using a fork and mix everything together. Cook for 30 minutes to roast and reduce down; this helps to intensify the flavour.
- Once cooked, place the tomatoes into a saucepan, then add the water and stock cubes. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Liquidise the soup and pass it through a fine sieve.
- Reheat the soup, add a little cornflour and water to thicken slightly, then season well with salt, sugar, balsamic vinegar and pepper. Stir In the cream
To make the cheese and pesto toastie
- Preheat the grill to the highest setting, then lightly toast the bread on both sides.
- Mix the cheese, pesto, and mayo well.
- Place two slices of bread onto baking parchment, on a baking sheet, untoasted side down. Spread half the cheese mix over the bread, nice and evenly.
- Top with the two fully toasted slices then spread on the remaining cheese mix and press down. Finally, add the last piece of toast uncooked side up and press again.
- Gently toast for 3-4 minutes, then carefully turn the sandwich over and cook the bottom uncooked slice until golden.
- Remove from the grill and leave to cool for a couple of minutes, then cut into diagonals. Serve with the soup
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket