My mum always made lovely rock cakes. They seem to have gone out of fashion these days, which is a shame. The great thing about them is you don't have to be too precise.
- 225 g Gluten-free flour mix A
- 2 tsp Gluten-Free baking powder
- 115 g salted butter
- 1.25 tsp xanthan gum
- 80 g caster sugar
- zest of 1 orange
- 100 g juicy sultanas
- 20 g chopped milk chocolate
- 20 g chopped bitter chocolate
- 20 g chopped white chocolate
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 200C gas mark 6. Line two baking sheets with greaseproof paper.
- Rub the flour mix, baking powder, butter and xanthan gum together in a bowl, taking care not to overwork the mixture. Next, stir in the sugar, orange zest, sultanas and all the chocolate.
- Add the eggs and bring them together to form a dough; clean hands are best for this job. Pile 12 equal-sized mounds onto the prepared baking sheets ‚ no need to be too neat here.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Do not overcook. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket
Gluten-free Flour Mix A
I use three Gluten-Free Flour Mixes simply because different combinations of flour work better for different recipes. For example, I’ve found Gluten-Free Flour Mixes A and B work well for biscuits and cakes. In addition, The Gluten-Free Bread Mix contains soya flour, which I think helps in most of the recipes with yeast.View Recipe