I love to pair fruit with thick cream and meringue. Along with trifle, it's my favourite combination. Passion fruit and pineapple are slightly tart, so marry well with the sweetness of the meringue. Kiwi fruit also works very well, chopped into small chunks."
- 4 egg whites
- 225 g caster sugar
- 170 g tube Carnation Condensed Milk
- 300 ml carton whipping cream
- juice of ½ lemon
- 6 passion fruits
- 200 g fresh pineapple, cut into small chunks
- Preheat the oven to 150C, 300F, Gas Mark 2. Line two large baking sheets with baking parchment.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites with an electric hand whisk until stiff peaks form. Gradually whisk in the caster sugar, one tablespoon at a time, whisking at a fast speed until the mixture is glossy.
- Place a heaped tablespoon of the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and mould into a nest shape. Repeat to make 12 nests, spacing them well apart.
- Place in the oven, immediately reducing the temperature to 140C, 275F, Gas Mark 1, and bake for 30 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave for 4 hours or overnight to dry out.
- Whip together the condensed milk and cream until thick, then stir in the lemon juice.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the meringues. Next, scoop the seeds and flesh from the passion fruit into a bowl and add the pineapple chunks.
- Spoon the fruit onto the meringues.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket