Ribollita is a famous Tuscan bread soup, made with bread and vegetables and is guaranteed to warm you through.
- 800 g cannellini beans, drained
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- pinch chilli flakes
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 small ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 sticks of celery, finely chopped
- 1 medium leek, washed well and finely chopped
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, picked
- 3 sprigs rosemary (leave whole and remove once cooked)
- 1 small Savoy cabbage, finely shredded
- 200 g Cavelo Nero, finely shredded (optional)
- ground pepper
- Ciabatta bread, cut into long slices
- extra virgin olive oil, good quality
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, peeled
- Place one can of beans into a food processor and blitz till you have a nice puree.
- Heat the olive oil and cook the onions, chilli and garlic for 3-4 minutes to soften.
- Next add tomato paste and fresh tomatoes mix well and break down a little.
- Next add the carrots, celery, leek, thyme, rosemary, pureed beans and enough water to cover by say 2cm.
- Bring to the boil add the stock cube and then simmer for 10 minutes, until the carrots are just cooked, then add the cabbage, Cavalo (if using) and the other can of beans, then simmer for 10 minutes to just cook the cabbage. The soup should be packed with vegetables and beans, the wooden spoon should almost stand up alone!!
- Season with pepper and remove rosemary stalks.
- To serve, serve in deep bowls, and a little crisp bread, rubbed with a little fresh garlic.
- I also add a dash of good quality extra virgin oil to the top of the soup when serving.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket