When you grill mushrooms they take on a different texture entirely, they are almost meat like. If you combine that with twice cooking them, you really concentrate the flavours and textures further. You can serve these with a little grilled bacon or even a nice poached fillet of smoked haddock and poached egg. The eagle-eyed will have spotted the picture isn't of Twice Cooked Flat Mushrooms with Basil Pancakes but of Phil attempting to break the world record for pancake stacking....It didn't end well!
- 8 large flat mushrooms, the darker the better
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 115 g fine rice flour
- pinch salt
- 0.5 tsp Gluten-Free baking powder
- 0.5 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 medium egg
- 1.5 tbsp sunflower oil
- 284 ml carton of buttermilk
- 3 tbsp basil, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 55 g butter, melted, unsalted
- Pre-heat the grill to the hottest setting.
- Trim the stalks off the mushrooms, so they are flat with the gills.
- Place the olive oil into a large, oven proof frying pan and heat.
- Add the mushrooms, season really well, gill side down, wait until they sizzle and then transfer the whole pan under the grill.
- Cook for 10 -15 minutes, or until soft. They will reduce in size by roughly half.
- Once cooked, remove and cool in a colander, straining off all the juices.
- Next make the pancakes, by placing the rice flour, baking powder, salt and cracked black pepper into a bowl.
- In a separate bowl place the egg, oil and buttermilk and whisk well together.
- Gradually add the wet mix to the dry mix; you should end up with a loose but quite thick batter. Finally, stir in the basil.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan and then add the 3 tbsp of oil.
- Spoon in the pancake mixture making 6 small pancakes.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, then flip over; they should be light brown. Repeat until all the mixture is cooked, (about 10 x 9cm pancakes) and keep them warm.
- Re heat the mushrooms under a hot grill, they will take on an almost meaty texture.
- Serve with the pancakes with a little melted butter.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket