A delicious roast deserves fantastic veg and these twice cook winter vegetables are just the ticket.
- 1 small swede, peeled
- 2 kholrabi, peeled
- 4 medium carrots, peeled
- 2 turnips, peeled
- 2 heads fennel, tough outside leaves trimmed and cut in half lengthways
- 1 leek, washed and trimmed (Any root veg will do really)
- extra virgin olive oil, depends on the size of the pan you are using.
- 1 garlic head
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C Gas 4.
- Cu the swede, kohlrabi into nice 2cm wedges.
- Cut the kohlrabi into 8 wedges.
- Cut each of the carrots in half lengthways and then into 4 pieces.
- Cut the leek into thick 5cm lengths.
- Pack all the veg into an ovenproof saucepan (the more compact the veg is, the less oil you will use).
- Add the garlic, thyme, table salt and ground pepper.
- Pour enough oil in to cover the veg completely.
- Heat through gently on the stove until the oil is hot and just bubbling, not boiling.
- Cover and place the pan in the oven.
- Cook for 45 minutes, then check if a knife slides through the cooked veg with ease but not falling apart.
- Remove the pan and leave the veg to cool slightly, then lift out with a slotted spoon, and chill until needed (it is best if you can leave the veg to cool completely in the oil, and chill the veg will keep for 2 weeks in a fridge)
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket