A reduced sugar dairy-free cake wouldn't have been possible a few years ago, but through this Mediterranean inspired recipe, Phil Vickery shows it's not only possible but very tasty too. As a father and general advocate of healthy living, I appreciate the need to eat healthier, but only a few years ago, before the advent of natural sugar alternatives and decent egg replacers, this vegan and reduced sugar cake simply wouldn't have been possible. With so many alternative ingredients now readily available, it's an exciting time to be a chef. There is no longer any excuses for us not to be making healthy but delicious desserts.
- 450 g Bramley apples, 2 medium peeled and cored (250g prepared)
- 3 tsp (12g) egg replacer, I used Orgran
- 90 ml cold water
- 75 g date puree, or whizzed up pitted dates
- 80 g Xylitol sugar alternative (available in stores as Total Sweet Xylitol), (available in stores as Total Sweet Xylitol)
- 50 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 220 g wholemeal flour
- 14 g baking powder, (½ level tsp)
- 50 g pine nuts
- Pre-heat the oven to 160C, gas mark 3
- Line a 2lb loaf tin with a parchment loaf liner or equivalent
- Place the apples into a small saucepan and add 50mls of cold water.
- Place over low heat and cook until pulpy but not fully cooked, then cool slightly.
- Mix the egg replacer with 90mls cold water together well
- Put the date puree, xylitol, and oil into a mixing bowl on a machine and beat until smooth
- Add the egg replacer and water and mix in.
- Mix the flour and baking powder really well.
- Place the apple pulp into the date, oil, xylitol and egg replacer and mix well
- Add the flour and baking powder mix and beat together very quickly.
- Mix well but don't over mix, or the end sponge will be tough and chewy.
- Spoon into a prepared loaf tin and spread out evenly then sprinkle over the pine nuts
- Place in the preheated oven, and cook for 45-50 minutes or until well risen and cooked through
- Remove and cool on a wire rack for at least 20 minutes, then lift out and cool completely before cutting. Because there is no egg in the recipe you, have a more fragile sponge..
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket