A little something for Burns Night with a twist, no meat!
- 50 g pearl barley, soaked overnight
- 1 medium carrot, VERY finely diced, or in a food processor
- 100 g wild rice, ideally soaked overnight, minimum 4 hours
- 75 g unsalted butter
- 2 small onions, VERY finely chopped, or in a food processor
- 400 g chestnut mushrooms, VERY finely chopped, or in a food processor
- 2 pinches ground allspice
- 300 mls boiling water
- 10 g vegetable stock cube
- 100 g pinhead oatmeal
- 2 tbsp brown miso paste, heaped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste, heaped
- 1 tbsp black treacle
- salt optional, may not need as the miso and stock cube are quite salty
- freshly milled black pepper
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- Place the soaked pearl barley, carrot and wild rice into a pan and cover with cold water and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 15 minutes or so until swelled and soft (don't worry if you slightly overcook, this helps the end texture). Drain well.
- Heat the butter and add the onions, mushrooms, allspice, miso, tomato paste and treacle in a large open pan (this will evaporate the moisture quicker) and cook over a high heat to drive off all the water from the mushrooms and get a really nice brown colour.
- Add the water, stock cube and oatmeal, and simmer gently until the mix is nice and thick, probably 15-20 minutes (the mix will stay apart when a spoon is drawn through it)
- Season well with lots of pepper, salt if needed.
- Add the cooked rice, barley and carrot the mix will really thicken now, and then spread onto a large clean tray to cool quickly.
- Preheat the oven to 200C gas 6.
- Once cooled add the eggs mix really well.
- Place a large piece of tin foil onto your top, and oil well.
- Place the cooled mix down one side, not too thin as you want a nice size/thick roll.
- Roll up and twist the ends in nice and tight, want about 6cm diameter or larger.
- Place the roll onto a scrunched-up piece of foil in a baking tray, so the roll does not touch the tray.
- Cook in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes to warm through and set the egg.
- Unwrap, slice and serve with neeps, tatties and sauce.
- Once cooked and cooled can be wrapped in film and chilled. Then slice and microwave to re heat
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket