- 25 g dried Porcini
- 750 mushroom/veg stock/water, boiling approx
- 10 g vegetable stock cube (optional)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and VERY finely chopped
- 250 g Arborio rice
- 125 ml small glass white wine
- 50 g Parmesan cheese, very finely grated
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
for the Arrancini Coating
- 4 tbsp flour
- 3 medium free-range eggs, beaten
- 250 g dried Japanese breadcrumbs (Panko)
- 75 g unsalted butter
- 50 extra virgin olive oil
- 400 g fresh wild/farmed mushrooms (Cep) if possible, sliced lengthways and fairly thick
- 4 tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
- few shavings Parmesan cheese
- Place the mushrooms into a bowl or jug, add the boiling water, leave for 15 minutes.
- Lift out the soaked mushroom pieces, chop roughly and reserve.
- Next, strain the stock through a very fine sieve to remove any grit. Keep warm.
- Place the oil into a pan and heat, then add the onion and cook for 5 mins to soften slightly.
- Add the rice and coat well, then add the wine and mushrooms and cook until the moisture has evaporated or absorbed into the rice.
- Gradually add the boiling veg stock/water stirring all the time until the rice is just cooked and nice and thick. Add a little stock cube if you want to intensify the flavour. You may not need all the stock.
- Remove from the stove, add the cheese, salt and pepper, mix well.
- Cool and then chill really well.
- Once, chilled mould small amounts into the size of a large marble.
- Roll each one in flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs, and then chill well.
- Deep fry in oil with a temp of 175C for 3-4 minutes in small amounts.
- Heat half the unsalted butter and olive oil.
- Add half the mushrooms, sauté very quickly for a minute or two maximum. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Spoon onto a plate, add the rest of the oil and butter and sauté the other half of the mushrooms; season well again.
- Add the first lot of mushrooms and parsley and bring them together.
- Spoon the sauté mushrooms into small bowls and top with the arancini.
- Grate over some long shards of Parmesan cheese and serve.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket