I once had this dish over a lazy Sunday lunchtime in Spain some years ago with the family. In fact, it was so good I asked the chef for the recipe, and here it is. It has such a depth of flavour, and the colour is amazing.
- 6 olive oil, plus extra if needed
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into 1cm pieces
- 0.5 tsp smoked paprika
- pinch or two of saffron threads
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 350 g paella rice
- 1 small rabbit, chopped into 16 pieces: legs into 2, saddle into 4, shoulders into 4
- 125 g raw prawns in their shells
- 125 g prepared baby squid
- 600 ml boiling fish or chicken stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 125 g live mussels
- 125 g shucked baby scallops
- 1 large bunch fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6
- Heat the oil in a paella pan or ovenproof sauté pan with a tight-fitting lid, add the onions, garlic and red pepper and cook for about 10 minutes until the pepper releases its colour slightly.
- Add the paprika, saffron and tomato purée, and mix well.
- Next, add the rice and stir to coat well in the oil and onion mixture.
- Then add the rabbit pieces and mix really well.
- Add the prawns and squid, and mix well again.
- Pour in the boiling stock and add just a little salt and some pepper, then mix well.
- Bring back to the boil, then cover with the lid, transfer the pan to the oven and cook for 12-14 minutes.
- Stir the mussels and scallops into the pan, re-cover and return to the oven for a further 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and stir well. You may need to add a little more oil.
- Re-cover and leave to stand for 10 minutes, then serve with the chopped parsley.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket