- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 kg or half leg British lamb, defrosted
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp (heaped) tomato puree
- 2 small onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 small leek, finely chopped and washed really well
- 0.5 small swede, peeled and roughly chopped
- 500 boiling water
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and sliced in 1/2cm pieces
- 3 tbsp olive oil, roughly chopped
- 0.5 tsp freshly milled black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/ Gas mark 4.
- Remove the lamb from the packet, cut off the fat, then cut the meat into 2-3cm pieces, leaving you with a clean bone.
- Heat the oil in a 25cm x 12cm deep saucepan (roughly), then add the meat and brown really well. This will take a few minutes
- Add the flour to soak up any excess fat from the meat.
- Next, add the tomato puree and leave it to brown slightly.
- Add the vegetables and stir well, then add the boiling water and sprinkle in the stock cube, top with the lamb bone.
- Add a little pepper and bring back to simmer.
- Top the vegetables, meat and bone with the sliced potatoes, overlapping slightly, and press down.
- Spoon over a little olive oil, then dust well with pepper.
- Place the lid on and place into the preheated oven and cook for 1 hour.
- At the 1 hour mark, remove the lid carefully, the potatoes will be cooked.
- Leave to cook uncovered for a further hour.
- The potatoes will brown nicely.
- Serve with green vegetables.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket