The classic combination of Rhubarb & Custard is never out of style. Using ready-made custard for the filling is a great shortcut making it a hassle-free dessert.
- 1 x24cm Loose bottom flan case Tart Quiche Tin, 24cm Perforated Tart Tin with Removable Loose Base, Nonstick Round Flan Tin.
- 50 g plain flour
- 60 g salted butter
- 1 tsp allspice
- 120 g pecans or hazelnuts, finely chopped
- 80 g dark brown sugar
- 400 g readymade sweet pastry, to line a 24cm x 4cm deep loose bottomed flan case and blind baked, so you have a pastry case
- 75 g packet Instant Bird’s custard
- 100 ml boiling water
- 150 g chopped white chocolate
- 200 g Yorkshire rhubarb, washed well and chopped into 1cm pieces
- 4 tbsp good-quality strawberry jam
- dash water
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- clotted cream to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C gas 6.
For the topping:
- Rub the butter into the flour until you have fine breadcrumbs, add the allspice, chopped nuts and brown sugar, mix well, then place into a baking dish and cook in the preheated oven until crunchy and well coloured. Blitz in a food processor if needed.
For the custard filling:
- Make up a thick custard by adding 100ml boiling water to the custard powder, add the white chocolate and mix well until melted.
- Pour the custard into the pastry case and leave to cool completely. Set in the fridge if need be.
For the rhubarb:
- Place the chopped rhubarb, jam, water and vanilla into a saucepan and cook over a high heat until the rhubarb starts to break up. Spoon into a colander and drain well, reserving the cooking liquid and reduce in a small saucepan until syrupy.
- Spoon the drained rhubarb over the set custard and then top with the crunchy crumble topping, chill well.
- Serve in wedges with clotted cream (Rodda's is perfect) and the syrup leftover from cooking the rhubarb.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket