This is enough for a 5kg bird.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp allspice
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 500 g good quality sausage meat
- 200 g Christmas cake, no icing or marzipan, crumbled
- 6 tbsp natural dried breadcrumbs
- 1 whole medium egg
- 150 g dried cranberries
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onions, allspice and garlic and cook for a few minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add the sausage meat and stir well.
- Just break down the sausage meat but do not actually cook it through.
- Then cool slightly, add enough bread crumbs to stiffen up the mixture, but remember that they will continue to thicken as they reconstitute themselves so take care not to add too many.
- Stir in the whole egg and cranberries and beat the whole mixture well.
- Finally, add the Christmas cake and some salt and pepper.
- Stuff the bird when required.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket